Hey lovelies! 💛✨
Instead of talking about what’s new to my tbr ever week in the TBR Highs & Lows meme, I decided to start lump all my TBR ‘highs’ into a giant monthly post. These are honestly some of my favourite posts to read and write. I love talking about books I’m excited to read, and I always find new books from other people’s similar posts.
… so let’s dive into what I added to my tbr in December. Spoiler alert: there’s a bit of an unintentional theme.
📚 Book club // 🖤 ARC // Rep = 🌷 (poc) // 🌸 (queer) // 🍄 (disability/nd/mi/ci) // 💐 (religion) // 🌻 (plus-size)
▷ December Additions:
- One of Us is Lying // Karen McManus 🌸🌷 • This was The YA Circle’s December botm,, which I honestly never would have picked up otherwise.
- The Bookish Life of Nina Hill // Abbi Waxman • Adult contemporary romance about a woman learning to come out of her shell. Chelsea Dolling recently read it and raved about it in her Contemporaryathon vlog.
- A Song of Wraiths & Ruin // Roseanne A. Brown 🌷🖤 • #Ownvoices ya fantasy inspired by West and North African folklore. It’s being pitched to fans of Children of Blood and Bone and Leigh Bardugo!!
- The Black Flamingo // Dean Atta 🖤🌸🌷 • YA contemporary told in verse. A mixed-race gay teen comes to terms with his identity & finds his wings as a drag artist.
- That’s What Friends Do // Cathleen Barnhart • MG contemporary. I think this is going to be a really important book tackling toxic masculinity and consent issues?? but I’ve really been enjoying middle grade lately.
- The Two Lives of Lydia Bird // Josie Silver • Adult contemporary about a woman whose fiancé passes away, only to be given a second chance with him in a parallel life.
- The Bromance Book Club // Lyssa Kay Adams • This is is another Chelsea Dolling recommendation! I tend to like the same romances as her and this sounds adorable.
- The Switch // Beth O’Leary • Adult contemporary in the style of The Holiday. About 79yo Eileen & her 20yo grand-daughter Leena swapping their lives in small town Yorkshire & bustling London for two months.
- The Tourist Trap // Sarah Morgenhaler 🖤 • Adult romance set in Alaska. A small town diner owner forms a reluctant friendship with a sweet, enthusiastic tourist.
- The Lies & (Medieval) Time of Kit Sweetly // Jamie Pacton • YA contemporary about a girl whose trick to get the sexist boss of the medieval-themed restaurant where she work as a wench, instead of a knight she wants to be, goes viral.
- The Trouble with Hating You // Sajni Patel 🌷 • Adult romance about Liya, a biochemical engineer, who walked out of her parents’ attempt to set her up, only to find out the man they choose for her is the lawyer she’s hired to save her struggling company.
- Brooms Up // Anna Meriano • All I know it’s about a girl in a quidditch team. Possibly at university?
- Beach Read // Emily Henry • Adult romance set on at writer retreat between a famous romance writer and an acclaimed literary fiction novelist who decided to defeat their writing slumps by swapping genres for the summer.
- All Our Worst Ideas // Vicky Skinner • YA contemporary romance about Amy who, after being dumped by her long-term boyfriend, works the final summer before college in a local record store and gets to know her cute co-worker.
- Raising Readers: How to Nurture a Child’s Love of Books // Megan Daley • I was recommended this by a librarian at work. It’s nonfic about getting kids to enjoy reading.
- The Princess Will Save You // Sara Henning • I really did not enjoy Sea Witch but a fantasy turning the ‘classic damsel-in-distress tale on its head’ sounds pretty damn good to me. And that cover.
- Moth & Whisper, Vol. 1 // Ted Anderson & Jen Hickman 🌸 • A graphic novel about a genderfluid thief “searching for their parents in a hostile cyberpunk dystopia”.
- As Many Nows as I Can Get // Shana Youngdahl 🍄 • Again, Chelsea talked about this in her September wrap up and it made me want to read it.
- Pretty Girls // Karin Slaughter • Adult thriller and another Chelsea recommendation.
- The Revolution of Birdie Randolph // Brandy Colbert 🌷 • YA contemporary which, you guessed it, Chelsea talked about in her September wrap up too.
- Dear Sweet Pea // Julie Murphy • MG contemporary about a plus-sized girl dealing with her parents’ divorce because her father has just come out as gay. It’s also a Chelsea recommendation! Can you tell she spoiled us with content this month?
- Ironspark // C.M. McGuire 🌸🍄 • “A teen outcast must keep her family and town safe from murderous Fae while dealing with panic attacks, family issues, and a lesbian love triangle.”
- The Duchess Deal // Tessa Dare 🍄 • I have never gotten into historical romance but Tessa Dare seems to be the go-to recommendation for newbies to the genre and I’ve definitely heard a few people rave about this series. I’m 90% sure Riley Marie loved it??
- Drowned Country // Emily Tesh 🌸 • I read & loved Silver in the Wood this month so I have every finger & toe crossed this means we’re getting more Tobias & Henry.
- Run Away // Harlan Coben • The Goodreads Choice Awards were truly terrible this year but this title caught my attention, especially when Kayla & BooksandLaLa was pleasantly surprised by it.
- Frozen Beauty // Lexa Hillyer 🖤 • YA thriller about “the intoxicating power of first love, the deep bonds of sisterhood, and a shocking death that will forever change the living.”
- Once Upon an Eid // edited by SK Ali & Aisha Saeed 🌷💐 • MG anthology by #ownvoices Muslim authors, including Hena Khan, G. Willow Wilson & Hanna Alkaf,, and it has one of my favourites covers of next year!!
- The Looking Glass // Janet McNally • YA magical realism about a missing sister, ballet & fairytale characters coming to life…. also a Chelsea recommendation!
- Carry On // Rainbow Rowell 🌸 • I was gifted the duology at my book club’s christmas book swap!
- One Day in December // Josie Silver • Adult romance. Hailey @ Hailey in Bookland raved about it in her Bookmas vlog.
- The Mystwick School of Musicraft // Jessica Khoury • MG fantasy set in a boarding school where musicians learn to create magic.
- The Mercies // by Kiran Millwood Hargrave 🌸 • YA histfic about women who must survive when a storm kills off all the island’s men. Inspired by the real events of the Vardø storm and the 1620 witch trials.
- Here in the Real World // Sara Pennypacker • MG magical realism about the unlikely friendship between two kids sent them to a summer camp for introverts.
- King & the Dragonflies // Kacen Callender 🌸🌷 • MG magical realism about a boy grieving the death of his brother, who he thinks turned into a dragonfly, as he explores his sexuality.
- Would Like to Meet // Rachel Winters • Adult romance recommended by Chelsea (again, I know) about a screenwriter of rom coms trying to save her job.
▷ Let’s Talk
what was the last book you added to your tbr?? have you read any of these titles? let me know if there’s anything i should prioritise! or avoid….